6th floor at the world trade tower inside JICA’s headquarters
Wednesday 4th of December 2019 (From 3:30 P.M till 6:00 P.M)
Number of attendees: 28 Participants
– JICA Alumni Association held a lecture about “Japanese society in the era of Maiji “1868-1912″ by Ex Participant: “Professor/ Raouf Okasha” (Member of JICA Alumni Association, Professor Emeritus at Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority and Consultant to the World Bank project with the Ministries of Electricity and Environment).
– The lecture started at 3:30 p.m.
– The lecture was a narrating lecture of a part of a highly interesting book “Japanese society in the era of Maiji” wrote by the late eminent Prof. Dr. Raouf Abbas – who died in 2008 – former head of the Department of History, Faculty of Literature- Cairo University – and former President of the Egyptian Society for Historical Studies.
– The lecture expected to followed by a series of successive seminars narrating the history of Japan in this period touch on the following topics: disintegration of feudal society – Administrative reform – Financial reform – Social reform – Judicial reform – Agricultural reform and its impact on rural society – Industrialization and the growth of capitalism Mechanism – External expansion – Political life – Intellectual life.
– Firstly: The lecture started with an introduction about the feudal society and the winds of change – the disintegration of feudal society – Western pressure.
– Followed by explanation of the first chapter about laying the foundations for a new era: “Administrative reform – financial reform – social reform – judicial reform and police system – modern army and navy – modern education system – division of the ruling elite”.
– The lecture contained interesting information about this era, as the attendees benefited from this information and asked the lecturer to make another lectures to complete the rest of the chapters of this book.
– At the end, the lecturer thanked the attendees and the board members.
-The lecture ended at 6 p.m.